Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Awe & Anticipation

Last week, Mrs. Lewen, a 6th grade teacher from Diamond Valley Middle School shared with me that the Hemet Women's Club had sponsored a writing contest for students at their school.  The students wrote poems and essays that were about COVID-19 and the 2020/21 school year.  The winners that were selected were 6th graders from Mrs. Lewen's class and 8th graders from Mr. Shelby's class.  

I was moved to tears by the words of some of the 6th and 8th grade contest winners as the gravity of the entire last year weighed heaviliy on my heart.  Through their words, I mentally relived the emotional turmoil that this virus has brought on our society, and became everso more aware of the impact that it has had on this generation of young people.  

Here are words of the Poetry Winners:

 





Here are the words of Essay Winners:








What I'm left with after reading their powerful words is awe and anticipation.  

I'm in awe of the resiliency and perseverance of our youth in the face of hardship, and I'm confident that because of what they've endured, their character has been strengthened.  

This reminds me of the scripture, Romans 5:3-4 which says, 

"...tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope..." 

I'm looking forward with hopeful anticipation to witnessing the greatness of this up and coming generation to which my own children belong.

Congratulations to the writing contest winners, and thank you to the Hemet Women's Club for sponsoring the contest and the guidance of the teachers that inspired the words of our youth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment